Coast Guard Cutter Pandora

Coast Guard Cutter Pandora, 1934

The cutter Pandora was named for a woman from Greek mythology whom Zeus caused Hephaestus to create as punishment for the human race because Prometheus had stolen fire from heaven.  She became the wife of Epimetheus, brother of Prometheus.  Zeus gave her a box enclosing all human ills, which escaped over the earth when she opened the box out of curiosity.  Hope, also in the box, was all she prevented from escaping.

CLASS: 165-Foot (B) Patrol Craft

BUILDER: Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation; Manitowoc, WI

COST: $258,000 per cutter

COMMISSIONED: 1 November 1934

DECOMMISSIONED: 1 May 1959; Sold 4 November 1959.

DISPLACEMENT: 337 tons

PROPULSION: 2 Winton, 6 cylinder, Model 158 diesels; 1,340 bhp

PERFORMANCE: 16.0 knots maximum; 11 knots, 3,000 mile radius cruising;

LENGTH: 165 feet

BEAM: 25 feet, 3 inches

DRAFT: 7 feet, 8 inches

COMPLEMENT: 5 officers, 39 men (1938); 7 officers, 68 men (1945)

ARMAMENT:

1932-1938: One 3″/23; Two 1-pounders 1941: 1 3″23; 1 “Y” gun depth charge projector; 2 depth charge tracks 1945: Two 3″/50; Two 20mm/80 (single); 2 depth charge tracks; “Y” gun depth charge projector; 2 mousetraps (1945)

SONAR:  QCO

RADAR: SF

Class History:

The 165-foot “B” Class cutters, sometimes referred to as the Thetis-Class, were a follow on to the 125-foot cutters.  Both types of cutters were designed for the enforcement of Prohibition, but the 165-footers primary mission was to trail the mother ships that dispensed alcohol to smaller, faster vessels well beyond the territorial waters of the U.S.  Hence these cutters had to have excellent sea-keeping qualities, good accommodations for the crew, and long range.  Although Prohibition ended soon after most entered service, their design nevertheless proved to be adaptable to the many other missions of the Coast Guard.

An article written soon after they entered service noted that: “the new cutters are low and rakish, without excessive superstructure or freeboard.  A raking stem, well flared bow and cruiser stern give the appearance of speed as well as contribute to the seaworthiness of the vessels, a quality which has been demonstrated in actual service. . .The new ships are twin-screw driven by two 670 horse power Diesel engines, furnished by the Winton Engine Co. of Cleveland, Ohio.  The shafting and propellers are arranged and supported in a novel manner.  The ship is equipped with two overhanging rudders on a line with and just aft of the propellers.  The rudders are supported by a streamline rudder post at the forward end which is bossed out for a bearing to take a stub shaft which extends through the propeller.  This method of arranging the rudders has proved remarkably successful.  At full speed, the ships turn a complete circle in two minutes and eighteen seconds, and can be docked with ease under the most difficult conditions.  On trial runs, the Atalanta averaged 16.48 knots at 468 RPM with practically no vibration and the engine under no evident strain.  Due to the arduous service for which these vessels were built, only the finest materials available were used. . .It is interesting to note that genuine wrought iron pipe was used for practically all the services where resistance to corrosion, vibration, and strain was required.  The fuel oil, lubricating oil, and water service to the main engines and auxiliaries; the fire and bilge system; and the steam heating system were all installed with genuine wrought iron pipe.  At the Lake Union plant this pipe was furnished by the Reading Iron Company through the Crane Company’s Seattle office and Bowles Company of Seattle.  The new ships are a distinct contribution to modern shipbuilding and should be of great value to the Coast Guard.”*

They certainly did prove to be of great value to the Coast Guard.  Most saw service as coastal convoy escorts during World War II and two, the Icarus and the Thetis, each sank a U-boat.  Many saw service well into the 1960s and some still service as tour boats in New York City with the Circle Tour Line, testament to their sturdy and well-thought out design.

Cutter History:

USCGC Pandora, built for the Coast Guard by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, was launched 30 June 1934 and was sponsored by Miss Margaret Hughes.  She was the daughter of the Honorable James F. Hughes, a member of Congress from Wisconsin.  The Pandora was commissioned as a large cruising cutter, was assigned permanent station at Miami, and commenced patrol and rescue operations out of Miami in the summer of 1934.

The cutter was headquartered at Miami until 1939, when she transferred to Key West.  She undertook a “Goodwill Cruise” to Mexico and Central America in January, 1940.   With the outbreak of hostilities, Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy and the cutter was assigned to the Eastern Sea Frontier.  Pandora served as a naval coastal patrol and rescue craft out of Key West through the war years.

She returned to the control of the Treasury Department 1 January 1946 and continued patrol and rescue duties in Gulf coastal waters until 1959, when she decommissioned and was sold for scrap.

 

Sources:

Cutter files, USCG Historian’s Office.

Canney, Donald L. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995).

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V – p 209.

*Nickum, W. C. “New ‘Sisters’ of the Coast Guard Patrol Go Into Service.”  The Reading Puddle Ball 3, No. 11 (February 1935), pp. 6-7.

Scheina, Robert L. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters and Craft in World War II. (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982).

U.S. Coast Guard. Public Information Division. Historical Section. The Coast Guard at War: Transports and Escorts. (Vol. V, No. I). (Washington, DC: Public Information Division, U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters, 1949.

Follow Pandoras Events on Reverbnation

Follow us for the latest dining and drink specials

Unable to display Facebook posts.
Show error

Error: Error validating application. Application has been deleted.
Type: OAuthException
Code: 190
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.